Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Race Track Running..

Yesterday, I had a great workout at the tracks.

As a part of our training, since last week, we started running once a week on race tracks. As opposed to marathon running which is a slow and steady run, this is a faster and steady run. We are supposed to run multiple times (based on a training schedule again) on the tracks and at a speed that is a little bit more than our comfortable fast pace. The trick is to maintain the same pace on your last run as your first. This is supposed to increase our cardio rates and also our overall efficiency during the marathon runs.

Last week, we were to run 4 X 400m with a 90 second break between each loop. I ran the first loop in 2 minutes 42 seconds. I thought I will push myself harder on my next run and ran it in 2m 7s. But, my knees started paining and I also knew I had tired myself. Obviously, the next two loops took me longer - 2m 55s and 2m 48s respectively.

I got the meaning of maintaining a steady pace and pushing oneself just that bit. After the advice from the coaches, I also worked on the cycle in my apartment gym yesterday morning. And I guess I did eat properly too. Whatever, or may it is a combination of all these, but yesterday I ran the first loop in 2m 8s at the just-on-the-boundary pace.

We were to do 6 x 400m yesterday and finished the remaining five in the following times: 2m 3s, 2m, 1m 58s, 1m 55s, 1m 57s. What more I was the first in my group in the last 2 laps!! Felt so good :-)

No comments: