Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Heroes and Heroines..

This is my email to my team - team Asha

Many a word been said before
of this team - heroes (and heroines) galore!
pain is temporary and victory forever
all champions of a worthy endeavor!!

Thank you TEAM Asha!!!!

I am pretty sure I would not have attempted to run a marathon in my lifetime, much less finish a half-marathon.. if not for you guys.

You (Asif; dont remember who else was there that evening) not only stood outside Saravanaa Bhavan and spread the word about the orientation session.... but also caught me at the club at Mountain View downtown and reminded me of the first long run the next morning (well... you know who I am talking about dont ya - Gargi and Reena - who have taken on themselves to spread the word amongst the hip, happenin' crowd of bay area :-)

You marked the route on the trails, you gave me water (and gatorade and gu...) when I was on the trail, you fed me bagel and banana and watermelon when I was sore and hungry at the end of my runs... The operations and volunteers team.

You told me about the right running attire... you taught me to unlearn and learn the right way to run and strengthen... you supported me to overcome (and continue to overcome) my aches and pains.... The coaches and mentors.

You made sure we have more occasions to shake our leg... you took care of our accomodation and transport... you made sure our and our friends dollars reached the right account... Events, travel, finance and treasury teams.

But more than anything else, you are part of a cause that is close to my heart... When we can light the hope in an underprivileged child.. When we can light the stove in that kitchen for the years to come... When we can ignite the quest for knowledge in the world.... We have won. Happy Diwali, folks!! This has been one of my most memorable Diwali.

What a marathon it has been... a marathon we won at the start line...

Special thanks to Sonnie and Anand who waited for me at the finish line with my parents... Bharat and Gayathri (Ram's wife) who also took care of my parents at various points... Chandrika and team who cheered us all along the course... last and certainly not the least, the omnipresent Co-ords who are responsible for this year of fun and fulfillment at Team Asha.

May you go forth and multiply!!

Bhaskar

PS: Special word of appreciation to all you folks with kids... and especially Raju whose kids accompanied us at the tracks :-)

No comments: